In this podcast episode, Rani interviews Dr Adam Harrison who is a GP, medical educator, qualified barrister, ex-medical director, and life, leadership and executive coach. He has experienced first-hand the consequences of working within poorly led environments, and this has fuelled his passion to work with medical leaders and healthcare executives to enable them to promote positive cultures within both their immediate teams and wider organisations.
Adam also helps doctors develop the skills needed to successfully deal with their situation, so they can be happier and more successful at work.
- The definition of bullying and the difference between teasing, bullying and harassment?
- Shocking statistics about the direct costs of rudeness, disrespect, and hostility at work
- The significant long-term impact of bullying and microaggression on the person’s mental health
- The top five reasons why people bully
- The concept of multipliers, diminishers and ‘accidental diminishers’
- The BOCA framework
- Adam’s own experience of bullying at the workplace and what he has learnt from it
- Kindness in leadership and why this kind of leadership training is as essential as anatomy teaching for undergraduate medical students
- How to address bullying at a practical level
- If there a role for forgiveness in order to heal from any traumatic bullying experience
- If there was an antidote to bullying at the workplace
- Adam’s message for victims of bullying: “It’s not your fault, you’re not alone and you have no reason to feel ashamed.”
- Adam’s two key takeaway messages for our listeners and much more.
YouTube: Dr Adam, Physician-Coach
Clubhouse: @dradamharrison | High-Performing Physician
The BOCA framework:
- Describe the perpetrator’s BEHAVIOUR i.e. you did this.
- Explain the OUTCOME to them i.e. how it made you feel.
- Talk about the CONSEQUENCES of their behaviour and your feelings.
- Finish up with what ACTIONS you / the perpetrator need to take to resolve the issue and prevent it from recurring.
Kristen Geez’s TEDx talk: https://youtu.be/JSnGeXBzWeQ
Dr Carol Kauffman interviewing Liz Wiseman (she talks about multipliers, diminishers and ‘accidental diminishers’): https://aceup.com/videos/interview-liz-wiseman-w-dr-carol-kauffman/
🔥 Subscribe to our podcast + also leave a review on Apple Podcasts as this would help us get to more listeners like you.